Naval Academy Varna
Naval Academy Varna. Since its foundation in 1881, its main objective has been to develop highly qualified leaders for the Bulgarian Navy and the maritime industry, to prepare them for the challenges of the transforming Navy and the rapidly changing sector of the global maritime economy. Strict adherence to the international educational standards for training of maritime personnel has always been the main rule for the Naval Academy. It provides integrated training for officers both for the Navy and for the Merchant Marine in a military environment. Their education in “Navigation” and “Ship Power Plants” has been approved by IMO and the Academy was included in the White List of Educational Institutions with “approved education”. Since then the Naval Academy has been recognized by ship-owners all over the world without any additional exams. Today many graduated students from the Naval Academy work as engineers in various civil industries and many merchant marine officers are captains and ship engineers in foreign companies in England, USA, Germany, France, Japan, Norway and many other countries.
REASONS TO CHOOSE NAVAL ACADEMY
Nikola Vaptsarov Naval Academy is the most authoritative centre of maritime science and marine technologies in the country, which prepares world-class mariners and engineers. The Academy provides both theoretical and practical training, using state-of-the-art methods and technologies. The training facilities comprise a planetarium (the biggest one on the Balkan Peninsula), polygons, simulators, summer camp, boat base, sail training vessels “Kaliakra” and “Royal Helena”, sea born training base 421 and auxiliary training ship 206. Also an R&D laboratory for practical navigation, a magnetic compass deviation laboratory, and other facilities for training in radio navigation systems, gyrocompasses, echo-sounders and logs, ship handing and manoeuvring, rigging, shipping operation, etc. Here is a detailed list of all the operating trainers and simulators at the Naval Academy:
OPERATING TRAINERS AND SIMULATORS
Transas Marine NTPRO 5000 – Full vessel control from a visualized navigation bridge
Transas GMDSS 5000 – Using procedures for communication
Transas ERS 5000 – All-round practice for ship engineers
Transas VTMS – Vessel traffic management systems
NAUTIS FMB Class A – A Full mission bridge simulator
VStep Rescue Sim – Incident management simulator
Firing Range – Firings
Naval Tactical Simulator – Tactical activities at sea
Dangerous waters – Tactical activities at sea
JCATS – Tactical activities at any environment
DIESELSIM Norcontrol – Control and diagnostics of ship diesel engines
Training center FESTO – Operating of hydraulic and pneumatic systems
ALFA LAVAL -Using ship separators
Technical centre SKF – Design and servicing of rolling bearings
Planetarium – Astronomical observations
Naval Academy employs 116 qualified lecturers – officers and civilians, 44 of which professors and associate professors and 21 lecturers with doctoral degree. They are responsible to train moral and commanding skills, as well as strong discipline, which are the key to success in the Academy.
Naval Academy has received accreditation by the National Agency for Assessment and Accreditation as tertiary educational institution. It offers many Bachelor and Master programmes in English. The diplomas issued by the Academy are recognized worldwide, so after graduation you will be able to travel under any foreign flag.
Nikola Vaptsarov Naval Academy is a co-founder and an active member of the International Association of Maritime Universities (IAMU). It maintains international contacts with similar schools and academies from the USA, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Ukraine, Romania, Poland, etc.
The Naval Academy offers 200 rooms in its dormitory, situated close to the university campus. The rent for a room is 40EUR per month, including bills. This is the cheapest option for accommodation and a real advantage for the students.
The structure of the Academy consists of three main units:
Navigational Faculty – After graduation you may assume working positions as Officers in Charge of the Navigational Watch, Second Mates, Chief Mates and Masters on board of all merchant ships, as well as shore positions as Ship Managers, Shipping agents, Cargo Surveyors, and expert positions in the field of electronics, computer hardware and programming,etc.
Engineering Faculty – Upon successful completion of your education, you will be qualified to work as Ship Electricians, Officers on Charge of the Engineering Watch onboard merchant vessels, Second Engineers on coastal ships as well as positions as Deputy Harbor Masters, Masters of a small port, Experts in logistics companies, the shipping business and international shipping trade and many other positions in the sphere of maritime transport and industry.
Post graduate Studies Department
If you want to become a graduate cadet with a Bachelor degree at the Naval Academy you must study for five years. You can choose between the following specialties:
- -Command and Control of Naval Tactical Units – Navigation
- -Command and Control of Naval Tactical Units – Marine Engineering
- -Command and Control of Naval Tactical Units – Naval Communication and Radiotechnical Systems
- -Marine Engineering
- -Information and Communication Technologies in Marine Industry
The Naval Academy offers 10 Bachelor pragrammes both in English and Bulgarian. Foreign students are required to take a nine-month preparatory course comprising training in Bulgarian, English, Physics and Mathematics. The duration of education is four years. The education of the students for the Merchant Marine is divided into two faculties:
- -Navigation – taught in English
- -Inland Water Navigation – taught in English
- -Information and Communication Technologies in Marine Industry – taught in English
- -Fleet and Port Management – taught in English
- -Water Transport Management – taught in English
- -Shipping – taught in English
- -Marine Engineering – taught in English
- -Ship Electrical Engineering – taught in English
- -Technology of Ship Repair – taught in English
- -Ocean Engineering – taught in English
Master degree education lasts from one to three years. You can choose between the following Master degree programmes:
- -Information and Communication Technologies in Marine Industry
- -Port Management
- -Marine Engineering
- -Ship Electrical Engineering
- -Ship Repair
TOGETHER WITH :
VARNA FREE UNIVERSITY:
- -Marine Safety and Security
ARTOIS UNIVERSITY, FRANCE:
PhD programmes at the Naval Academy Varna are as follows:
- -Ship Operation and Navigation
- -Operation of Water Transport, Seaports and River ports
- -Radiolocation and Radionavigation
- -Communications Systems and Networks
- -Ship Power Plants and Machinery
- -Technology and Organization of Shipbuilding and Ship Repairing
- -Ship Power Supply and Electrical Systems
- -Organization and Management of the Armed Forces
- -Military Psychology
- -Automated Systems for Information Processing And Management
- -Dynamics, Strength and Reliability of Machines
- -Organization and Management
- -Military and Political Aspects of Security
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS AND TUITION FEES
If you want to study at NVNA, you should send the following documents by DHL:
- Application form (here you can point more than one specialty)
- Copy of the high school diploma and a transcript of records (translated into Bulgarian and duly legalized)
- Authorized document, that you are allowed to study at the Academy (issued by the school authorities) – it must be translated into Bulgarian and duly legalized
- Medical Health Certificate (original) – translated into Bulgarian and duly legalized
- Photocopy of Passport/ID card – translated into Bulgarian and legalized
- Six photos 4/6
- Photocopies of all the above listed documents excluding the photos.
If you apply for specialty of Navigation you should have not less than 62% of the maximum grade in mathematics and physics. If you want to study Management of Water Transportation your high-school grades in English or Geography or History should be not less than 62% of the maximum grade.
Foreign students from non-EU member country who want to acquire a Bachelor or Master degree in English in the professional branch Transport, Shipping and Aviation should pay the following annual tuition fees:
- 3000EUR for full-time students
- 1750EUR for extra-mural students
- 3000EUR for language preparatory course
- For EU-citizens the respective tuition fees are 2000EUR per year for full-time students and 1000EUR per year for extra-mural students.The annual tuition fee for acquiring a PhD degree in technical and social studies are:
- 3000EUR for full-time students with non-EU citizenship
- 1750EUR for extra-mural students with non-EU citizenship
Students with dual citizenship, one of which is Bulgarian, pay half of the tuition fee.
If you need any assistance, please contact us by electronic means (firstname.lastname@example.org). It will be a pleasure to assist you.