Health Cover

Health Insurance

Health Cover

Health Insurance Varna

It is compulsory to submit an official translation of your Health insurance upon registration at any Bulgarian university, as well as for registration at the Local Migration office.

Medical insurance is a very important issue, especially when it comes to a long-term permanent stay in Bulgaria. You have two options – either to make a medical insurance in your home country, which should cover Bulgaria, or to make insurance in Bulgaria at one of the global insurance companies, which operate in Bulgaria.

You have a choice between the following two types of medical insurance:

A Compulsory Medical Insurance

For people staying in Bulgaria for 3 months or more – valid only on the territory of Bulgaria for people up to 70 years of age. This insurance covers the following risks:
medical expenses due to an accident or an acute disease

  • repatriation due to an accident or an acute disease
  • urgent dental care
  • death due to an accident

An International Medical Insurance

For people between 18 and 69 years of age – this insurance covers all countries around the world. People who have such insurance can choose from a list of first-class hospitals around the world and the insurance covers all sorts of medical expenses – hospital treatment, medications, surgery, transplantations, laser eye treatments, rehabilitation and others.

Important Phone Numbers

If you find yourself in a danger or in a situation of emergency, call 112. This number is free of charge and valid on the entire territory of Bulgaria. Other important phone numbers include 150 (ambulance), 160 (fire/rescue), 166 (police) and 178 (pharmacy on duty).

European Health Insurance Card

A free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country. Cards are issued by your national health insurance provider.

Important – the European Health Insurance Card:

Please note: when you move your habitual residence to another country, you should register with the S1 form instead of using the EHIC to receive medical care in your new country of habitual residence.

× WhatsApp ?