Technical University Varna
Technical University of Varna was established in 1962 by a decree of the Council of Ministers of Bulgaria and a decree of the National Assembly. For its over 50 years history the Technical University-Varna has grown up from a small institute, training engineers to satisfy the regional needs to the second largest technical university in Bulgaria with reputation of an internationally recognized educational institution.
The university is located some 3 km from the central part of one of the most ancient cities in Bulgaria with over 3000 years history. The city of Varna has an excellent access by land, sea and air and has the largest commercial and passenger ports in Bulgaria. Close to the city (in approximately 8 to 30km) are situated some of the most famous Black Sea resorts – St. Constantine and Hellene, Golden Sands, Albena and Kranevo, offering plenty of recreation and entertainment opportunities during the whole summer.
The Technical University of Varna is a leading state educational institution in the field of engineering and technology in northeastern Bulgaria. It aims at the development of intellectual potential of its students providing European quality of education in all three types of degree programmes – Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD’s.
REASONS TO CHOOSE THE TECHICAL UNIVERSITY OF VARNA
The mission of Technical University of Varna (TUV) is to integrate research with education in the fields of shipbuilding and marine technology, shipping and water transport, ecology and technologies for protection of the sea area. TUV employs 358 qualified lecturers 11 of which professors, 151 associate professors and 196 assistant professors. 219 lecturers have a PhD degree and 10 of them have a Doctor of Science degree. All of them work towards providing a training of market-oriented engineering professionals from all educational qualifications and degrees for the Bulgarian and world economy in the spheres of:
- Shipbuilding and Shipping
- Engineering and Engineering Technology
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Automation
- Communications and Computer Engineering
- Industrial Management
- Ecology and Art and Technology for Protection of the Sea
In 2001 the TUV received a certificate for quality of academic training ISO9001 by Bureau Veritas International. The university is a member of European University Association (EUA) and The Black sea Universities Network. It has established intense international relations and partnerships with more than 110 universities from 30 different countries in Europe, Asia and North America.
The university has developed a highly sophisticated laboratory base for serving the training process. Its training facilities comprise of high voltage laboratory, special cast and metal analyses departments, certified Linux and Microsoft laboratories, internal combustion engines laboratory, communication R&D laboratory, welding and underwater welding laboratory, university computing center, two state-of-the-art navigation training simulators, licensed radio and TV stations as well as Hi-Tech park with Hi-Tech Business incubator.
The university campus comprise of three major lecture buildings, special laboratory and production building, special R&D facilities, extensive library, Internet club, sport facilities, canteen, 3 restaurants, cafes, student’s discotheque. In approximately 750m away from the buildings are located the three student hostels with 1450 places. This compact location of the university campus creates favorable conditions for living and working.
TU-Varna is an autonomous institution incorporating 6 faculties with 23 departments, 2 colleges, a Department of Mathematics and Foreign Languages, 2 Dean’s offices PhD Students and Foreign Students and Post-graduate students.
Basic training in different technical specialties is conducted in Bachelor’s, Master’s degrees and PhDs both full-time and part-time courses of study, including training in English. Study programmes currently taught in English are:
• Naval Architecture and Marine Technology
• Industrial Management
• Social Management
• Automation, Information and Control Technologies
• Communication Engineering and Technologies
The programme ” Industrial Design” is taught in Russian.
There is no entry exam for foreign students. Students should comply with the requirement of a minimum grade: the grade from specific subjects (Mathematics, Physics, History, etc.) taught at school, should not be less than 62% of the maximum grade (100%).
The study programmes at TUV are distributed on faculties as follows:
• Faculty of Electrical Engineering
Electric Power Engineering and Equipment (BSc, MSc, PhD)
• Faculty of Computer Science and Automation
Computer Systems and Technologies (BSc, MSc, PhD )
Automation, Information and Control Equipment (Specialist, BSc, MSc, PhD)
• Faculty of Electronics
Electronics (BSc, MSc, PhD)
Communication Engineering and Technologies (BSc, MSc, PhD)
- Social Management (BSc, MSc)
- Faculty of shipbuilding
- Naval Architecture and Marine Machinery (BSc, MSc, PhD)
- Ship Machinery and Plants (BSc + MSc, PhD)
- Thermal Engineering (BSc, MSc, PhD)
- Diagnostic of Machines Equipment (MSc)
- Faculty of Marine Sciences and Technology
- Navigation (MSc + PhD)
- Fleet and Port Operations (BSc, MSc, PhD)
- Ecology and Equipment for Environmental Protection (BSc, MSc, PhD)
- Industrial Management (BSc, MSc)
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Technologies
- Mechanical Engineering and Equipment (Specialist, BSc, MSc, PhD)
- Engineering Design (BSc, MSc, PhD)
The Technical University of Varna provides general and specialized English, German, French and Bulgarian courses.
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS AND TUITION FEES
In order to apply for a Bachelor or Master degree, you must submit the following documents:
- Filled in application form
- Photocopy of the high school/higher school diploma – translated into Bulgarian and legalized
- Copy of the Diploma supplement – translated into Bulgarian and legalized
- A certificate, issued by accredited authorities, where to be stated that the applicant has the right to continue his/her education at any university in the country – translated into Bulgarian and legalized
- Medical certificate – translated into Bulgarian and legalized
- Certificate for identity of names ( if the applicant has a dual citizenship)
- A document from the applicant’s parents which proves that they will meet all applicant’s expenses during his/her education
- Photocopy of the passport
- Six recent photos (3,5/4,5)
The application documents for PhD include all the aforesaid documents plus a short CV and a list of publications translated into Bulgarian.
If you enroll in a full-time programme the duration of your education will be: preparatory course – 1 year, BSc – 4 years, MSc – 1,5 years after BSc, PhD – 3 years after MSc. Respectively the length of courses for extra-mural students are 5 years for Bachelor degree, 1,5 years for MSc and 4 years for PhD’s.
After graduation you will be prepared to hold key positions in leading international companies, Government agencies, local and central administration.
The tuition fees for foreign students are shown in the table below:
Foreign students with dual citizenship, one of which is Bulgarian, pay half of the tuition fee. The tuition fee can be paid in two equal installments at the beginning of each semester.
For any questions and further information, please contact us.